Sweet Potato and Lentil Bowl
Looking for something different to serve tonight? Lentils and sweet potatoes combine to make this delicious, healthy side dish with middle-eastern flavors.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils (dried)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh parsley or cilantro (for garnish)
- In a large pot on medium high heat, saute onion and garlic in the olive oil until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients up to the pepper, turn the heat up to high and bring everything to a rapid boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for about 20 to 30 minutes, until lentils are cooked through and not falling apart.
- Remove the from heat and stir in the salt. Top with fresh parsley or cilantro, serve and enjoy!