Yellow Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cups red/yellow lentils
- 4 cups chicken/vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the chopped onions for about 5 minutes until they are translucent.
- Add the chopped garlic, turmeric and cumin, and continue cooking for a few minutes more. Be careful not to scorch the garlic.
- Add the stock and then stir in the lentils. Cook for 35 minutes. Stir several times during cooking to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom of the pan. They should fall apart and the result is a creamy, slightly lumpy soup.
- Stir in lemon juice, turn off heat and serve.