Caprese Pasta Salad
Try this satisfying twist on an old favorite â€“ Caprese Salad â€“ just add pasta and this side is perfect!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 pound pasta, such as campanelle, penne or fusilli
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, shallot and garlic in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add sugar, if desired.
- Add tomatoes and toss gently to coat. Marinate at room temperature while pasta cooks and cools.
- Add the pasta to boiling, salted water and cook according to directions. Drain in a colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking.
- Add the pasta and mozzarella to the tomato mixture and toss. Stir in the basil and lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate, tossing occasionally, until ready to serve.