Squash and Tomato Gratin
Katie Harding of momfavorites.com captures the fresh taste of summer with her Squash and Tomato Gratin and pairs it with our classic Cordon Bleu Stuffed Chicken Breasts. Try it with her classic Tartiflette and you'll swear you're enjoying dinner in the French countryside!
- For the onions:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- For the gratin:
- 1 lb. ripe tomatoes, cored and thinly sliced. Drain for 30 minutes prior to assembly
- 2 small zucchini, sliced thinly on bias
- 2 small squash, sliced thinly on bias
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ c fresh thyme, destemmed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1¼ c grated Parmesan
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onions. Sautè until golden, approximately 20 minutes. Add garlic and sautè for an additional minute or two.
- Mix squash and zucchini with 1½ tbsp of olive oil, thyme and salt.
- To a 1½ quart dish add onion mixture. Begin assembling the gratin by alternating tomatoes and squash rows. Between each layer, sprinkle with parmesan and thyme. Reserve half of the parmesan to sprinkle on top after gratin is complete. Drizzle with remaining 1½ tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 65-70 minutes until golden and most liquids have been reduced. Allow to set at least 10 minutes before serving.